Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nancy Popp

Street Climbing Performance by Nancy Popp
    This is a performance in Santa Monica, on Oct 2005. Her artworks are so amazing. At first, I feel really weird and like "no idea" when I see this artwork. I am like what is it about and why it is called art. As I read through all of the stuffs about this work. I get more feelings and understand it. 
     This performance attempts to break out pattern if movement within urban space to observe the flow of the street and seek out new sightlines. This is also an exploration between public and private. Popp wrote: “The body becomes a temporary marker signifying transgression, an attempt to top the hierarchies inherent in the vertical landscape. But climbing a street pole is a seemingly ridiculous and pointless act. Its motivation is unclear, private or idiosyncratic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment